Salmon is an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12) but it is their content of omega-3 fatty acids that receives the most attention.
The omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin-D and selenium within salmon all combine to help manage insulin levels throughout the body, thereby facilitating the absorption of sugar and the subsequent lowering of blood sugar levels.
Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation of the arteries and the digestive system, reduce chances of colon, prostate, and kidney cancers. Furthermore, salmon can improve skin texture, add some sparkle to your eyes, skin, hair and nails and help in the growth of beneficial bacteria in the colon.
The fatter the salmon, the more nutritious and healthy it is. It is a good protein supplement for older or sick people as well, since it is easy to digest.
Don’t be fooled by the size of the chia seeds… these tiny seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch.
A 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp lemon grated lemon zest (rind –optional)
- ½ cup clack and white chia seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 salmon fillets (skin removed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place parsley, lemon zest, chia seeds, salt and pepper in a blender and blend for 30-60 seconds.
- Brush the fillets with olive oil and divide the crust mixture evenly. Sprinkle over the top of each and press down gently to secure.
- Place the fillets in a baking dish, lined with baking paper and rubbed with 1 tsp oil.
- Bake in a 180 (degrees celcius) oven for about 6-10 minutes. Then uncover and continue baking for 2-3 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve with a garden salad and lemon wedges. Enjoy!!