ACAI BOWL RECIPE
Acai bowls are super good for you, and make the perfect breakfast or brunch meal.
Acai is one of the best known sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds in foods that neutralise chemicals called free radicals, produced by oxidation in the human body. These chemicals have been linked to diseases such as heart, liver disease and cancer. Plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and wholegrains are rich sources of antioxidants.
The acai berry’s deep purple pigment is responsible for its antioxidant benefits. The pigment contains anthocyanins a powerful class of phytonutrients (nutritious components of plants) that serve as antioxidants. Foods that contain anthocyanins have a strong red, blue, or purple colour.
Another advantage of the acai berry is its anti-inflammatory effect. Anti-inflammatories fight inflammation, which has been linked to a number of health problems, including heart disease and stroke.
- 4 tbs acai powder
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut water
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp honey to taste
TOPPINGS (Choose 3 or 4)
- Fresh fruit, sliced – Banana/Strawberries/ Blueberries/kiwi/Passionfruit/ Raspberries
- Dried Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Peanut butter
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Granola (optional)
- Blend the acai powder, frozen berries, milk, spinach leaves and honey together. If it too thick, add a little bit of almond milk or water. The texture should be thicker than a regular smoothie.
- Add your toppings! ENJOY!!