In the fitness world we hear a lot about ‘macros’. The fitness world is obsessed with the ratio of protein, carbs & fats and how much processed junk they can fit into their weekly plan and still “get away” with it.
We rarely hear about the importance of MICRONUTRIENTS and how crucial they are in achieving and maintaining our health, performance & aesthetic goals. The human body is a delicate system of processes and reactions, all of which require specific nutrients, minerals and compounds in order to ensure our bodies are functioning smoothly. A nutrient deficiency can cause serious imbalances in the body leading to illness, reduced immune system function and general poor concentration and mood levels. A nutrient deficiency can also be a setback when it comes to burning fat, building muscle and increasing overall strength. This explains why so many people can be training insane, hitting their macros perfectly and still not see results!
The best way to ensure you are receiving the nutrients crucial to living a full and prosperous life is to ensure you include a wide range of organic fruits, vegetables and legumes in as many colours as you can within your diet.
Some examples of key micronutrients and their functions:
• Vitamin K which is essential for the blood-clotting process — sources: dark leafy greens
• Vitamin A for healthy skin and eyes — sources: orange fruits or vegetables
• Vitamin C for a well-functioning immune system — sources: acidic or citrus-tasting fruits
• Vitamin E for healthy hair and nails — sources: nuts and seeds
• Minerals such as iron and magnesium for healthy blood, nerves & brain function — sources: tofu, tempeh and other legumes
How do you include your micronutrients?